CMAP Communications & Outreach
Outreach Associate (OURE62016)
July 5, 2016
Job Category: Associate
Experience Required: 3 to 5 years
Salary Range: $54,000 – $66,933
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire two full-time Outreach Associates to assist with the agency’s stakeholder engagement. CMAP is our region’s official comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are developing ON TO 2050, a new comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information. For detailed information about our benefits, please go to http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers#benefits.
The Outreach Associate will help to develop and manage outreach and engagement to CMAP’s diverse base of stakeholders, which include local governments, transportation implementers, community organizations, non-profits, advocacy groups, civic organizations, and the business community, among others. The Outreach Associate will help translate planning principles and policies to these CMAP constituencies, while using a wide variety of skills and tools — particularly social media — to ensure active public participation in comprehensive regional planning.
Some in-region travel and late evenings/weekends are required.
- Stakeholder engagement:
- Help develop and implement long- and short-term strategies for the agency’s engagement with its stakeholders.
- Plan and execute events — such as workshops, forums, and conferences — that advance CMAP’s outreach program, both in CMAP’s offices and off-site.
- Expand and deepen CMAP’s network of stakeholders.
- Maintain a high standard of communication with stakeholders.
- Assist with ongoing outreach, such as the CMAP Citizens Advisory Committee, the “Municipal Matters” quarterly newsletter, and the Future Leaders in Planning program.
- Assist in outreach to Councils of Government and Councils of Mayors.
- Work cooperatively with other CMAP program offices to gain an understanding of the programs to most effectively represent them in public settings.
- Social media: Help develop and implement the agency’s social media strategies.
- Database management: Help maintain and expand the agency’s database of outreach contacts and activities.
- Research: Explore best practices and innovation in outreach tools and methods to support the agency’s engagement.
- Assist in developing speeches, presentations, written reports, memoranda, and materials to inform, educate, and encourage public involvement.
- Provide other assistance as needed to support effective external and internal engagement for CMAP.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Outreach Associate must have excellent skills in public speaking, writing, facilitating, social media, and other forms of engagement. The Outreach Associate must be a self-starter and quick learner — someone who is not afraid to ask questions and is willing to take on additional responsibilities and leadership. Strong time management and organizational skills are also necessary. Multilingual skills, especially Spanish fluency, are a plus.
The position requires a background in urban planning and policy, attention to detail, writing and editing skills, experience facilitating group discussions, familiarity with survey tools, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, social media skills, and database management capability. The Outreach Associate should have familiarity with database management and customer relationship platforms, such as EveryAction or Sales Force.
Education and Experience
B.A. degree is required (M.A. preferred) in a relevant discipline such as Urban Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration, Journalism, Communications, English, or Marketing.
Prior work experience is required and should include demonstrated aptitude in writing and oral communications in a team environment. Demonstrated ability to manage and contribute to complex projects is preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume via the web at: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers. Please refer to Job Code (OURE62016).
Posting End Date
This posting will close on August 5, 2016. All applications must be completed and submitted within that timeframe.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.