Suffolk County Department of Economic Development and Planning
Downtown and Transit-Oriented Development Specialist.
Suffolk County seeks urban planners and project managers to join the Department of Economic Development & Planning.
As a member of the Downtown and Transit-Oriented Development team the primary duties of the position include project management, including the day-to-day management of consultant teams, project deliverables and timelines; grant writing and management; ongoing communication with civic and community organizations; development of a thorough understanding of community needs and goals; and collaboration with local municipalities for technical assistance and project support.
The preferred candidate will have
- Three years of urban planning and project management experience.
- Experience in collaborating with staff members and residents
- A desire to pursue modern concepts, planning best practices, and innovative strategies and techniques.
- Through understanding of fundamental planning principles and practices including an understanding of the short-term and long-term socioeconomic implications of planning decisions.
- Practice as a problem solver who will help identify solutions and manage processes to facilitate effective planning procedures, policies, and programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Demonstrated knowledge in the following subject matters is highly desirable
- Urban and traditional neighborhood design
- Urban economics
- Equity planning frameworks
- Transit and transportation planning and policy
- Developments in personal and micro mobility
- Housing policy and programs
- Community and economic development
- Environmental justice and the built environment
*Bilingual capabilities a plus
Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Design, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, or a related field, plus one (1) year of experience planning transit-oriented developments in downtowns or neighborhood centers in suburban areas.
Salary Commensurate with Experience. Excellent Benefit Package.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
Interested applicants should submit their credentials to email@example.com