The City of Bridgeport, CT is now accepting resumes for the position of
Salary: $55,983.00 – This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including a Retirement Pension administered by MERS (Municipal Employees Retirement System).
To Apply: Please mail, deliver or email a resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references (name, title, business/company name, and contact information), to the Civil Service Commission office, 45 Lyon Terrace, room 106, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Required documents can be emailed to COB.Jobs@bridgeportct.gov.
Resumes must be submitted or postmarked no later than Friday, June 19, 2015.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Professional work involving short and long term city planning activities of a highly technical nature. Requires extensive knowledge of comprehensive land use and urban planning principles and practices. The ability to be flexible, to be accurate, to manage multiple projects, and to interact and communicate with the public and private sectors is required.
This position involves considerable independent work and acts under the supervision of the Director of Panning and other staff in charge.
- Researches, analyzes, and reports independently on various social, economic, regulatory, and environmental data associated with a variety of city projects.
- Finds creative solutions to difficult problems and presents them in a clear and concise manner as required.
- Updates and maintains the city’s Master Plan of Development and various other databases associated with the City Planning Department.
- Reviews planning issues and documents for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with established city policy, ordinances, and plans.
- Makes recommendations as to the relevance and responsibility of various city proposals to established city plans, regulations, and goals.
- Writes local, state, and federal grants and permit applications; assembles a wide variety of neighborhood and project plans; and researches and responds to requests for information from the general public, businesses, and other governmental entities.
- Attends meetings and events outside of the normal business day as required.
- Coordinates/schedules meetings and conferences on behalf of the department.
- Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES:
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in planning or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in an appropriate field is preferred.)
- The ability to read and comprehend architectural, site, and construction plans and specifications as well as research and analyze technical reports, plans, regulations, etc.
- The ability to write and express oneself through the creation of reports, graphs, charts, maps, etc. of a technical and complex nature in a format capable of being understood by a targeted audience.
- Computer literacy with the Microsoft Office software package; GIS experience a plus.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Two to four years of direct planning experience in a professional environment. (A Master’s degree in planning may be substituted for one year of experience.)
- Any acceptable and equivalent combination of experience and training which provides a demonstrated potential for performing the duties of the position.
This job description is not, nor is to be intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions, responsibilities and qualifications which comprise this position.
Please note: due to the anticipated volume of submissions received, we will only contact those applicants whose experience, background, and skills best match our requirements.
An Equal Opportunity Employer MF/AA/DIS
For further information and contact:
CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
45 LYON TERRACE
BRIDGEPORT, CT 06604