Planners Network is an association of professionals, activists, academics, and students involved in physical, social, economic, and environmental planning in urban and rural areas, who promote fundamental change in our political and economic systems.
Planners Network International Conference 2013
Beyond Resilience: Actions for a Just Metropolis
June 6 – 8, 2013, New York City Metro Area
Registration Open! Please visit http://justmetropolis.org/
Cataclysmic events across North America and throughout the world such as Hurricane Sandy lay bare the ongoing crises in low-income communities: unemployment, foreclosures, homelessness, and service cutbacks. However, community-based organizations and activist networks are mobilizing, networking, and filling the gaps left by the failure of local and federal responses. This organizing continues beyond simple resilience, toward building a more just collective future. The conference includes:
- Screening of “My Brooklyn” and a discussion with the filmmaker.
- Dialogue with community groups & residents at mobile community workshops.
- A celebration of justice and action at Pratt Brooklyn’s historic Higgins Hall.
- A full day of diverse conference panels, interactive workshops, and plenaries.
- An evening performance by Rev. Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping.
Featured presenters include
John Davis, Burlington Associates; Mindy Fullilove, NY State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University; Rachel LaForest, Right to the City Alliance; Erminia Maricato, University of São Paolo; Peter Marcuse, Columbia University; Marla Nelson, University of New Orleans; Miguel Robles-Durán, Parsons/New School; Tony Schuman, New Jersey Institute of Technology; Aixa Torres, Smith Houses Resident Association; and dozens more!
Co-sponsored by Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility and Association of Community Design.
- See the latest issue of the magazine from Winter 2013 in the Magazine & Publications section.
- Read more about the Partnerships for Regional Equity: A Planners Network Forum May 18-19, Ithaca NY. This 2-day conference provided a forum to share strategies community-level planners, nonprofits, and activists are using to cooperate to achieve regional equity goals, even in the face of shrinking budgets and political opposition.
- See the latest Individual Membership Directory from October 2012
- See the latest E-Newsletter from December 2012 in the Magazine & Publications section.
- The 2011 Planners Network Conference on Promoting Economic Development through Regional Cooperation, Planning, and Development took place on May 18 -21, 2011 at The University of Memphis. For more information visit www.memphis.edu/plannersnetwork.
- See the PN newsletters from 1975, 1993, and 2001, in our new Newsletter Archives 1975-2001
- Read a statement regarding the new Arizona Immigration Law, May 2010.
- Read about the Canadian Association of Planning Students 2010 conference in Guelph, Ontario in Chapter Updates.
- Contact updates on the Chapters and University contact pages, August 2009.
- Updated By-Laws posted, August 2009.
- See the Planners Network Brochure
- Download the Disorientation Guide in the Magazine & Publications section.
- Get details on how to Join Planners Network
- Job Postings and Planners Network
- See the information on Young Planners Network