Please click here to download this FAQ as a PDF!
What are the roles of a University Representative?A University Rep’s role is letting students know about PN and Progressive Planning magazine, and usually includes:
- Holding a PN informational event at least once annually for new students(see next question)
- Reaching out to students or faculty who may be interested in the possibility of joining PN or submitting an article for Progressive Planning magazine
- Agreeing to be listed on the PN website and responding to email inquiries
- Sharing PN news and announcements with members of the University through a listserv or other method
- Sharing announcements about the University’s progressive events and news with PN
- Assisting PN in finding a successor when the Rep can no longer fulfill his or her role
How and when should I hold an informational event?Informational events typically are held at the beginning of each school year, but may be held any time. They may take the form of:
- Holding an informational meeting
- Tabling at a student activity fair
- Short session at an introductory planning class
Who may be a University Representative?University Representatives may be faculty, staff, or students. Faculty members are preferred, as they typically stay at a University longer than students, but anybody interested is welcome. In some cases, alumni may be University Reps, so long as they have a way to regularly reach and interact with current students.
Is this the same thing as forming a Planners Network chapter?No. Chapters regularly hold events and campaigns throughout the year. They may be focused on a University, a city, or an entire region and may include students, faculty, professionals, community activists, or others. A chapter designates a “Chapter Contact” to keep the chapter in touch with PN. In contrast, a University Rep simply occasionally provides PN-related info to students and faculty.
Where can I find more information?
- Check www.plannersnetwork.org for news and announcements.
- Join the PN listserv: http://www.plannersnetwork.org/join-pn/join-the-planners-network-listservs/
- Contact universityreps(at)plannersnetwork(dot)org with questions, comments, and ideas