Communications & Outreach
Communications and Outreach Intern (COM2016)
October 13, 2016
Job Category: Communications and Outreach Intern
Experience Required: Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program
Salary Range: Undergraduate $12.00 per hour, Graduate $15.00 per hour
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire a part-time communications and outreach intern to assist with the publication, messaging, and distribution of agency materials and outreach support for CMAP’s next comprehensive regional plan. The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is our region’s official comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are developing ON TO 2050, a new comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information.
The Communications and Outreach Intern is responsible for helping to develop and manage CMAP content in a variety of print and electronic formats and assisting community outreach and engagement with CMAP partners, stakeholders, and constituents. Above all, the position requires excellent attention to detail that includes writing and editing skills, familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel, and some experience using social media and web content management systems.
The ability to think critically and work independently is essential. Over the course of the internship, the intern will work on projects across a variety of policy and local governance issues.
Prior employment experience is a plus. The candidate should be punctual in working the required hours and notify CMAP staff should there be any scheduling issues that necessitate absence or late arrival.
• Assist in writing, editing, and quality assurance of long-form reports, short-form policy briefs, and publicity materials.
• Help develop and implement distribution strategies for various CMAP publications and reports via printed materials and other communications outlets (e-blasts, social media, direct media outreach, stakeholder engagement).
• Generate short-form content for the CMAP website (www.cmap.illinois.gov), including blog-like “updates,” and social media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube), and provide support for routine and long-term web content maintenance.
• Assist with research as needed.
• Help to prepare and distribute e-newsletters, press releases, and other news products.
• Help to maintain and improve the media contacts database.
• Help develop and implement outreach and engagement strategies for CMAP events, such as workshops, forums.
• Assist with logistics for outreach events, both off-site and in CMAP’s offices.
• Help maintain and expand community outreach database.
• Provide other assistance as needed to ensure effective external and internal communications and outreach for CMAP.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Communications and Outreach Intern must have excellent skills in writing and other forms of communication. The position also requires a demonstrated ability to quickly understand and communicate complex policy issues. Another primary requirement is acute attention to detail, including mastery of grammar and style necessary when writing for various public audiences. The Communications and Outreach Intern must be a quick learner — someone who is not afraid to ask questions and is willing to take on additional responsibilities and leadership. Strong time management and organizational skills are also necessary.
The intern must have proficiency with web and content management software and systems. Familiarity with HTML and other web languages is a plus but not required.
Applicants should submit two to five writing samples from a wide range of formats (e.g., press releases, fact sheets, articles, reports, and other published works).
Education and Experience
Undergraduate applicants must be entering their junior or senior year in Fall 2016. B.A. degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Political Science, or other communications-intensive discipline recommended. Graduate applicants must be entering their first or second year in Fall 2016. M.A. degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Urban Planning, Journalism, or Communications also encouraged. Prior work experience should include demonstrated excellence in writing and other communications in a team environment.
Office Automation Skills
Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Power Point. Specialized Technology – Adobe Creative Suite, web content management.
The internship will begin in fall 2016 and extend through spring 2017, with a possible extension through summer 2017. Minor start and end-date accommodations may be made upon request.
Please submit cover letter and resume via our website at
http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers. Please refer to Job Code (COM2016).
Posting End Date
This posting will close on November 13, 2016, at 5:00pm CST. All applications must be completed and submitted within the 30-day timeframe.
Position will remain open until filled (The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer).