Equity and Inclusion Program Manager I, COA083508
Austin Transportation Department
City of Austin, Texas
This position oversees the development, coordination, and administration of equity policies and practices for the Austin Transportation Department (ATD), acting as a resource for the department to create an organization where equity becomes central to everyday decisions and is embedded in operations across all parts of the transportation infrastructure in the city. This will include coordinating, developing, and delivering training for the department. This position will lead ATD in proactively implementing equitable policies, practices, and actions, as well as helping influence attitudes within the department that will produce equitable access, opportunities, and outcomes for the workforce and the communities we serve.
This position will also lead ATD’s ongoing racial equity assessments, implement the department’s equity action plan, and facilitate the department’s Equity Action Team. The ATD Equity Action Team is comprised of representatives from every division within the department and aims to improve equity and inclusion within the department’s work and within the department itself.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to use an equity lens and framework to foster inclusive and equitable projects.
- Knowledge of data on racial disparities within local, state, and national context and the impacts that historic and contemporary transportation investments have had to establish and exacerbate those disparities.
- Ability to review, interpret and translate legislation into actionable best practices.
- Excellent public speaking skills and high comfort and ability speaking to a wide range of audiences. Ability to travel to multiple work sites in the Austin metropolitan area.
ATD was established in 2008 and employs 380+ people, with diverse positions to include parking officers, technicians, permit analysts, planners, project managers, engineers, support staff, and more.
- Experience in strategic and long-range equity planning for governmental municipalities, corporations, or non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated success at implementing programs that contributed to equitable outcomes.
- Experience advocating for and implementing institutional change within a structured environment.
- Experience analyzing data to inform program and project planning.
- Experience creating relationships with other employees, departments, and organizations to promote recruitment of diverse populations.
- Experience using an equity lens to create, develop, and implement diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.
- Experience identifying current and emerging equity and inclusion issues to evaluate, develop, and implement programs in a way that addresses impacts on equity.
- Experience communicating to diverse audiences (verbally, written, and presentations).
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job, plus five (5) years of experience in a field related to the job, including two (2) years of experience which were in a lead, supervisory, project, or program management capacity.
- Experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field may substitute for non-lead/supervisory experience up to a maximum of two (2) years.
To be considered for this position, candidates must apply online at: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/89841
Please review additional postings with Austin Transportation.
The City of Austin has excellent benefits and provides an exceptional retirement system as well as a 457 plan for its employees.
About Austin, Texas
Austin has long been known as a technologically advanced city, a place where new ideas go to be tested and adopted. Austin has enjoyed a robust and diverse economy for the past 10 years, with economic indicators regularly exceeding national averages. Austin metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing in the country, with a 2.9 percent increase in population in 2016. Austin, Texas has a population of 926,000, making it the 11th largest city in the country. One of the country’s most popular, high-profile “green” and culturally dynamic cities, Austin was selected as the #1 Best Places to Live (US News and World Report 4/2017), # 5 Top 25 Future-Ready US Cities (Convention Management Association Convene Magazine, 2/2016), “Best City for the Next Decade” (Kiplinger), the “Best Places to Live in the US” (US News), the “Top Creative Center” in the US (Entrepreneur.com) and #1 on the “On Numbers Economic Index” as the fastest growing economy.
EOE – City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act