Assistant Planner (AP42017)
April 17, 2017
Job Category: Assistant
Experience Required: No prior experience required
Salary Range: $45,000 – $55,803
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire a full-time employee to contribute to the agency’s Local Technical Assistance (LTA) program and ON TO 2050 comprehensive regional plan development.
CMAP is the official regional planning organization for the seven northeastern Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will. CMAP developed and now guides implementation of metropolitan Chicago’s comprehensive regional plan, GO TO 2040, and has begun development of the region’s next comprehensive plan, ON TO 2050. The ON TO 2050 regional plan will establish coordinated strategies to help the region’s seven counties and 284 communities address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information. For detailed information about our benefits, please go to http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers#benefits.
This position would have two main responsibilities with other duties as assigned.
The position will contribute significantly to the LTA program. The LTA program was initiated in spring 2011 to create innovative local projects in the Chicago region that support livability principles, implement GO TO 2040, and build capacity in local communities. Over 140 projects have been completed to date, with 40 more underway, including comprehensive plans, corridor or subarea plans, zoning revisions, studies of special topics such as housing, stormwater management, or economic development, and similar planning activities. To obtain more information on the LTA program, please visit www.cmap.illinois.gov/lta.
The position will also to contribute to ON TO 2050, which is slated for adoption in October 2018. ON TO 2050 is meant to build on the recommendations of GO TO 2040, address new issues, and provide more specific and actionable guidance for implementation. The plan development process is one of the agency’s major activities, and many staff contribute in different ways. For more information, visit http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/onto2050.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the links between transportation, land use, housing, economic development, community development, environment and natural resources, and governance.
- Familiarity with the purpose, scope, and practice of regional planning.
- Experience working on or familiarity with local planning projects. Examples include comprehensive plans, zoning ordinances, corridor plans, market studies, and similar products.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with local planning practice in northeastern Illinois, including plan and ordinance preparation, and the role of appointed and elected officials.
- Ability to contribute to complex projects and to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and across departments.
- Experience or interest in working with elected officials, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and other partners in designing and implementing policies and strategies.
- Ability to use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in support of planning projects.
- Ability to translate planning principles and policies to stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Multilingual skills, especially Spanish fluency, are a plus.
Education and/or Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related discipline is required, and a Master’s degree is preferred. Candidates with less than 2 years of relevant work experience qualify for the Assistant level.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume via the web at: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers. Refer to Job Code (AP42017).
Posting End Date
This posting will close on May 17, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. CST. All applications must be completed and submitted within that timeframe.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.