GIS PLANNER POSITION
The Northeast Georgia Regional Commission (NEGRC) is seeking qualified applicants for
the position of GIS Planner within its Planning & Government Services (PGS) Division. The
GIS Planner is primarily responsible for meeting the daily GIS (Geographical Information
System) requirements of the NEGRC and assisting in local and regional efforts related to
community, environmental, transportation, and land-use planning.
This position requires direct involvement with elected and appointed officials, local-
government staff, community stakeholders, and the public in developing data-driven
maps and infographics, as well as researching and developing local and regional plans. It
also requires coordination with state and federal agency partners such as the Georgia
Department of Transportation, Georgia Department of Community Affairs, US Census
Bureau, and Georgia Department of Natural Resources in meeting their respective
programmatic and planning requirements. The GIS Planner, internally, works in close
coordination with the NEGRC’s Planning & Government Services staff in performing
tasks associated with individual projects.
The ideal candidate will have experience and a working knowledge in several areas of GIS
technology and local-government planning including, but not limited to, the following:
spatial data analysis and maintenance, design, cartography, comprehensive planning,
strategic planning, demographic analysis, public speaking, and meeting facilitation.
• Advanced GIS skills and experience with Esri products (desktop and cloud-based)
• Advanced computer application skills
• Demonstrated successful research and analytical experience
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Organizational and time-management skills
• Ability to prepare and make public presentations in a variety of local government
settings, sometimes on controversial topics
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines
• Ability to work independently and on project teams
• Effective in working directly with elected officials, local government staff, and
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban planning,
geography, or similar area of study
• 3 years of related work experience; or equivalent combination of education,
training, and experience.
• Master’s degree in urban planning, geography, public administration, or a related
• Prior employment in the public sector
• Zoning experience
• Advanced experience with Adobe Creative Cloud apps (especially InDesign,
Illustrator, and Photoshop)
The NEGRC provides services to 12 counties and 54 cities in Northeast Georgia through
its offices located in Athens, GA. This position reports to the NEGRC’s Director of Planning & Governments Services. For a complete list of duties, see http://negrc.org/local-
services.php under “News.”
Starting Salary: $44,000 – $50,000/year, with a competitive benefits package.
Submit a resume, cover letter, list of three references, and (optional) portfolio to:
NEGRC, Attn: Julie Ball, Program Assistant, 305 Research Drive, Athens, GA 30605-2795
or email: email@example.com. No telephone inquiries accepted. No email attachments larger
than 5 MB. Review of received resumes will begin on June 5, 2019, and continue until the
position is filled. The NEGRC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.